Gift Planning Considerations under the new SECURE Act and CARES Act
Most of us couldn't have anticipated the series of recent events that have
impacted our financial security and our sense of person and community.
Whether your plans have changed or not, we have a variety of resources
available that could be helpful in planning for your family and ways to
create your legacy. You can contact us for everything from a list of
qualified advisors in your area to considerations regarding the new tax
laws put into effect this year. Please see highlights below from
legislation enacted to consider in your tax and philanthropic planning.
SECURE Act and CARES Act key highlights
- Higher Deduction Limits - If you itemize, you are eligible to
receive a federal income tax deduction for cash charitable contributions up
to 100% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). Previously this was limited to
60% of AGI. For gifts using appreciated property, the AGI limitation
remains at 30%.
- The minimum age remains at 70½ for making a tax-free transfer
from an IRA to a charity (Qualified Charitable Distribution).
- The Required Minimum Distributions from IRA retirement accounts are
waived in 2020.
- If you were not yet age 70½ by the end of 2019, the SECURE Act
increased the age at which you need to start taking required minimum
distributions (RMDs) from your retirement accounts from age 70½ to 72.
- Retirement Plan Annuities - The rules are generally expanded to
permit more qualified retirement plans to offer annuity payout options
- Waiver of penalties when retirement funds are used for Coronavirus
- The SECURE Act, with certain exceptions, requires that retirement
funds given to nonspousal beneficiaries must be fully distributed within
New Charitable Deduction (up to $300) for Non-Itemizers
These are only some of the numerous provisions of the SECURE and CARES
Acts. We welcome the opportunity to be of assistance as you consult your
advisors to create or revisit a plan to ensure it meets your needs and
Lisa Bakker, Director of Planned Giving, can be reached at 312.227.7247 or email@example.com